Movie review: Grumpy Katniss doesn’t like cats (Mockingjay Part II)

Q Movie review Leave a Comment

Before I start this movie review, let me just add a disclaimer. I firmly believe that Mockingjay was the weakest of the written trilogy (the actual books). There was a lot of filler in there that made the story seriously drag, and I was prepared for the movies (needlessly split into two parts) to be more of the same. Turns …

QMovie review: Grumpy Katniss doesn’t like cats (Mockingjay Part II)

Critics need to ease up on Adam Sandler and Pixels (movie review)

Q Geekery, Movie review Leave a Comment

First off, it’s been a while! Life has been hectic, but I’m making a renewed effort to keep my blog up to date. I’m sure someone out there missed me. Now that that’s out of the way, let me be clear up front: Pixels, Adam Sandler’s new movie about extraterrestrials that find and interpret the messages found in a space …

QCritics need to ease up on Adam Sandler and Pixels (movie review)

88% Awesome (maybe more): Guardians of the Galaxy review

Q Awesome Sauce, Geekery, Movie review 1 Comment

There’s a line in the movie where Star Lord claims to have 12% of a plan. After watching the movie, I realize now why he only bothered with 12%. The other 88% of him was filled with awesome, so there was never any need to worry. You know what, I’d give The Guardians of the Galaxy at least a 95% awesome …

Q88% Awesome (maybe more): Guardians of the Galaxy review

Edge of Tomorrow: Tom Cruise channels Bill Murray

Q Movie review Leave a Comment

I saw Edge of Tomorrow this past weekend. I expected a movie that was going to be just OK, with a somewhat interesting premise. The gist is pretty simple: every time Tom Cruise dies, he resets his day and starts all over again. Yeah, it’s a lot like Groundhog Day, and if you’re thinking that it’d be a damn handy …

QEdge of Tomorrow: Tom Cruise channels Bill Murray

X-Men: What year is it anyway? (movie review)

Q Awesome Sauce, Geekery, Movie review 2 Comments

  My cousin, Tommy, told me not to bother seeing this movie. I’m glad that I didn’t listen to him (sorry Tommy). Four of us went, which included two not-so-nerdy wives. Everyone came out of the theater happy. Don’t get me wrong, the movie has some problems.  I don’t think I’ve actually seen a movie that doesn’t have some flaw, and …

QX-Men: What year is it anyway? (movie review)

The Lego movie was good, and Fox is crazy

Q Geekery, Movie review Leave a Comment

I went to see the Lego movie with my wife and some good friends., and the general consensus was that the movie was actually pretty good, and surprisingly clever. It was really fast-paced.  In fact, we described it as “frantic” as we left the theater.  The real magic comes in when you sit down to think about the movie afterward. …

QThe Lego movie was good, and Fox is crazy

Desolation of Smaug: Can’t believe he caught me monologuing

Q Awesome Sauce, Movie review Leave a Comment

Be warned, spoilers live in this post.  If you haven’t read The Hobbit, or if you haven’t seen the first and second movie, turn back now lest said spoilers blow your mind. Now that that’s out of the way, I’ll get on to my movie review of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.  Click more to keep going–you know you want …

QDesolation of Smaug: Can’t believe he caught me monologuing

How to make a good movie (and why Hollywood keeps failing to do so)

Q Movie review, Writing Leave a Comment

I’m a writer.  I studied it for four years to get my BA in English, then I studied it for two more to get my MFA in Writing.  I’m telling you that up front to properly set your expectations.  I’m somewhat picky, and it can be somewhat obnoxious.  You’ve been warned. I’m especially picky when it comes to telling a …

QHow to make a good movie (and why Hollywood keeps failing to do so)

Movie Review: Man of Steel (I really WANT to like a Superman movie)

Q Movie review Leave a Comment

I mean it, I REALLY want to like a Superman movie, but alas, it apparently isn’t meant to be.  I was on the fence when I came out of the theater on this one, but the more I thought about it, the more disappointed I was.  Eventually, I worked myself into a nerdy, writer’s fervor and decided that I did …

QMovie Review: Man of Steel (I really WANT to like a Superman movie)

Movie Review: After Earth (in the future, we don’t believe in guns)

Q Movie review Leave a Comment

Yup, time for another movie review!  I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to see this one or not.  It’s an M. Night Shamalamamama movie, which has been a red flag as of late, and it’s another story about a post-apocalyptic Earth.  We get it, Hollywood, we’re screwing up the planet (not that I disagree). Despite …

QMovie Review: After Earth (in the future, we don’t believe in guns)